In 1960 a small and determined group of worshipers joined together to create Foothills. Sponsorship by the First Congregational Church in Palo Alto, the Congregational Community Church in Sunnyvale, the Northern California Conference of Congregational Churches and the Board of Homeland Missions in New York was both essential and welcomed.
Reverend Charles M. Bezdek registered 176 Charter Members in October 1961 in the church’s new permanent location at 461 Orange Avenue in Los Altos. The Orange Avenue location was purchased from Christ Episcopal Church when it moved to a larger building. Our sanctuary building was designed by the renowned Ernest Coxhead and completed in 1914. The property was added on to in 1926 and 1951, before Foothills' acquisition.
1966 saw the addition of a minister’s study, and a new Parish Hall was built in 1973. In 1982 we were listed in the National Register of Historical Places. In 1992 we remodeled our Learning Center to create more space for our music and youth programs. We enjoy our lovely Sanctuary, the Parish Hall, and the Learning Center. In 2014 we invited the local community to join our celebration of the 100th anniversary of the original building.